Tuesday 24 November 2009

Update day 24

So far today I have written 2270 words. I'm not sure I will write much more, hence I decided to write this post. My total is 52020 words. This is actually higher than I thought it would be, as I was unsure that I would write too much once I had reached the magic 50k.

But I reached 50k and, even with work and meetings, I continued to write. So not a bad total. Unfortunately tomorrow is Wednesday and I never seem to write on a Wednesday. I will try, but no promises.

I know I need to look at the outline again and completely re-write it so that it matches the current storyline and is more detailed. This will be the synopsis in the end. At least that's the plan.

Then the only thing missing is the cover letter, but that is for another day, which lies far, far into the future. Still it fills me with dread just thinking about it.

Back to the novel. I'm hoping by the end of December to have a completed draft. All the scenes completed and storyline fixed in place with no holes. I, also, hope to have about 80k-90k written. Then I will start deleting stuff, including full scenes. The idea is, I will write more than I need, so that I can get rid of the stuff I don't need and only leave the best in the book. That's the theory, I wonder what will happen in practice...

And by completed draft, I don't mean one ready to submit (not the final draft, the novel), but one ready to be properly edited for grammar and spelling and the like. At that point I would hope that there won't be any major re-writes. Famous last words.

No comments:

Post a Comment