Wednesday 4 November 2009

Day Three Update

So yesterday I was supposed to hit 15k words. I didn't make it. I only reached 14610 words, which means I missed my goal by 390 words. Not too bad, but also not good. I mustn't let the gap get any bigger.

I have to admit that my cunning plan to write at work was the reason I missed my target. I'd set things up so that I would be running simulations all week. Unfortunately events took over and I actually had to do other work as well, meaning I had less time to write.

Well that was one of the reasons. The other was that yesterday I had a bad day. I had trouble writing, even though I knew what I had to write, I just couldn't seem to get into it. But I persevered and ended up with a decent total. Towards the end of the day, it did get easier to write. It never flowed quite as well as the previous day, but it wasn't that bad.

Of course now I'm worrying I won't have enough story and I won't make 50000 words. I get the same worry every year and I always seem to find enough to write about. I also know that I can go back and fill in some of the parts that I've skipped over. Where I've used a lot of telling, I can replace it with showing. It will take longer to write, but it will produce many more words.

If I'm having trouble with a scene, I tend to tell the reader about the scene. I've done that in a couple of places so far. I know that writing those scenes so that I show the reader the action instead will take me quite a bit of time and mean I will need to look up some details first. If I have time at the end, I will do this. But only if I have the time.

For now I will continue as I have been going and try to write another 5000 words today and reach 30000 words by the end of Friday. If I fail, then I'll make up the difference over the weekend. If I succeed then I'll take the weekend off - for the most part. I'll probably write 2500 to 5000 words over the two days, but this is a lot less than I've been doing per day so far.

So my tally so far: 1 good day and 2 bad/not-so-good days

No comments:

Post a Comment