Tuesday 3 November 2009

I reached 10K

To answer Bill's comment from yesterday: yes, I do care about my characters. In fact yesterday's writing went extremely well, much better than I had been expecting. I really got into the story and made up for the low word count on the first day. I wrote 6272 words yesterday and ended the day with a grand total of 10029 words. Pretty good even if I do say so myself.

My goal this week is to reach 30000 words by Friday. That's 5000 words a day, which I know I can manage easily. Anything above that is more of a stretch. I know yesterday I wrote more, but the last 1000 words were very difficult and took the longest amount of time to write. Not because I had nothing to say, but because I start to struggle at this point even if I have a clear path and I know where the story is going.

The most that I have written in one day was over 10000 words, but that was so hard. It was made worse by the fact that I had no outline to follow and the result was dreadful. Yesterday, I had a clear outline of which scenes I was writing, but the last part was still hard to do. I know that when I look back over what I have written, that last section will be one of the worst and need the most changes.

However if I can keep up the momentum, I should have no problem finishing before 30th November, even if I need to take some days off. I just have to write whenever I can and not make excuses for myself. Remember to reach 50k, when writing 5k per day, you only need 10 days. To reach 75k, you need 15 days.

So what I have learnt is that I can write 5k a day and I should write 5k a day. If I miss a day, it won't be a disaster, but I need to get back writing as soon as I can. I can't write more than 5k a day easily. Maybe that should be I am not happy in writing more than 5k a day. I find it becomes to much of a strain on my poor little brain...

And as for my story, that's going really well. It is definitely mutating, but I knew that would happen. Some of the minor characters are taking over a bit, but that isn't a bad thing and some, which I thought were a little boring, are becoming far more interesting. The story line is still intact and my preferred ending looks like it will still happen.

So onwards and upwards...to 15ooo words.

No comments:

Post a Comment