Friday 13 November 2009

Day Thirteen Update

Starting to write today was like pulling teeth - extremely painful.

The result was 2546 words, giving a total of 37557 words. So I made my 2500 goal. Just.

I guess, and from current experience, bad days are more common than good ones. I don't know if this is because this I am new at this writing business or whether it is just me or whether other writers find this as well.

Now there is one difference here to most writing situations and that is NaNoWriMo. I have to write everyday. I can't decide to edit instead. Having said that, I think it is a very good thing.

My reasons:-
1) I am actually going to complete my story. No procrastinating and using editing as an excuse. I will have written the story.
2) It forces me beyond the "I don't want to write" or "I can't write" stages of the day and it makes me write. I feel guilty if I don't write something, even if it is only 400 words.

When I finally finish the story, I will go back and edit, and add, and do all of that, but when I reach that point I will have a first draft. It won't be 50k, I know that, but I will have a draft. I'll add to it until I reach 50k and then do some more serious editing.

And the other thing that happened today was that my nicely planned reveal has completely changed. The murderer is someone who I thought was completely innocent, but can be completely guilty without having to change the story line. It was not one I had considered before, but it works.

At least it works at the moment. Perhaps when I re-read it all, it won't make any sense. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment