Monday 13 January 2014

Progress

I was sick on Friday, so I did very little on that day. I slept all afternoon and when I was awake I wasn't exactly with it, so to speak.

But Thursday, now that was a nightmare day. After I posted on here, my monitor stopped working. Totally. I couldn't get it to even power up. I tried for an hour before giving up and moving on to other things.

At lunch I spotted the monitor on the old desktop and thought it would be worth trying that, so at least I could tell if it was my computer or my monitor that was bad. There was, of course a problem. The monitor is an old one and only had a vga connector. My computer is very new and only has a HDMI connector...

Then I remember seeing an adapter when I first got my computer. A little detective produce said adapter and a few minutes later I could contact my computer. So it was either the monitor or the cable.

I discovered the main on/off switch for the monitor and powered it down. A little while later I turned it back on and tried the same cable that worked on the old monitor, so with the adapter. Hey Presto! It worked.

So I tried the old cable for one last try and it also worked. All of this takes just a few minutes to type up, the whole episode took almost 4 hours in total. I was not happy.

But I now know that the most likely cause is a dodgy connection in the monitor, specifically a connection to the HDMI connector on the monitor. There is still a chance that it is the cable as I can't test that separately, however on balance, it's more likely the monitor.

This means that at some point in the next few months, my husband needs to take my monitor apart and see if he can find the problem. One advantage to being married to an electronic engineer.

Still the whole thing killed most of Thursday and I was sick all of Friday. I did still manage to find all the files I needed, which means today I have no excuse. Time to start reading through and editing where needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment