Thursday 14 January 2010

Flu

I have not posted recently because for the last week I have been in bed with the flu. Today is my first day back at work and the first day that I have felt human again.

The consequence of this is that my current word count stands at 45080 words, just over half of the end total. I have printed out all of the individual scenes and now I have to go through them all, editing and rearranging them.

I find this a daunting task. It doesn't scare me, but I am really not looking forward to it. I am hoping to start tonight, however I am a little worried that I will not have the energy left after a full day back at work. I still get tired quickly.

I am resolved to do some editing this weekend. Even if it's only to go through one or two scenes. I need to get started. I know it will get easier once I start. And I know this because of a short story that I once wrote. I had real trouble getting up the courage to re-read it and to begin editing, however once I started, it went really well and the second draft was so much better than the first.

Also, I need to add in more scenes. Currently missing are the subplot(s). These just don't exist. Well one has been started, but all I have done is introduce a character. The actual plot is still missing.

More detail still needs to be added as well. Most of the conversations are just talking heads with no action attached. Hopefully at the end of this, I'll be much closer to the 80-90k words that the novel should reach and the scenes will finally all be in the right order.

I'm hoping to get this all done before the end of January, but as I just lost a week that could be pushing it slightly. I haven't given up on getting it done by then as there are still just over two weeks to go, but I wouldn't put money on it.

I am content with what I have done so far. I wish I had done more and some of that is due to me, the rest though is due to ill health and I can't control that.

No comments:

Post a Comment