Friday 11 December 2009

Writing

So far today, I have added 3884 words to my new draft. This gives a total of 3884 words in the second draft. Most of these words come from the first draft and a lot still need editing. I'm 750 words into the edit. I've already deleted some scenes that are no longer relevant. I just have to re-write the ones that are still relevant.

My goal for this second draft is to get 2500 words written and/or edited per day for at least five days per week. I failed miserably to do that this week, but in defence I did only start writing today. I should have started earlier, but didn't. Still I should be able to make my daily target for today at least.

As for NaNoWriMo, I'll keep a total going on here so that I can track my progress. I'll also update my spreadsheet to see how I'm doing and see if I can meet the goals I'm setting myself. Christmas is coming so that will affect things. I just don't know how at the moment. I won't be working, but there is far more family orientated things to do. Should be interesting if nothing else.

Other things I am doing is adding the scenes into a spreadsheet, which includes a timeline, words per scene and how many scenes I need to reach my word goal. For example, I've set my total word count for the entire novel to 80000 words, which is a reasonable length. Now my first scene is 750 words long. Now if all my scenes are that length, I would need 107 scenes to reach my target.

Of course not all the scenes will be the same length and the exact word count won't be 80000 words, but it's fun to track my progress. I'll keep an update on my average scene length and how many scenes I need to reach 80000 words. I'm hoping that the 107 will come down...

Time to go back to editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment