Wednesday 16 December 2009

Progress at last.

I know today is Wednesday and all the way through NaNoWriMo I never wrote on a thing on a Wednesday, but today I did quite a bit.

With the problems I've been having with writing a new scene, I decided to do some editing instead. The result of this is an additional 8752 words have been added to my total, bring it up to 12528 words.

Now I know this is mostly editing. I have deleted a lot and I have rewritten parts, but mostly the increase in my total is due to the bits I wrote during NaNoWriMo that were actually quite good. (OK, so I think they are very good, but that might change over time).

I think I will continue like this tomorrow and possibly Friday. However I might run out of good parts by then and so I'll be back to writing again. My biggest gain from doing this, is the feeling that I am actually accomplishing something. My lack of progress in writing a new scene was really getting to me.

I was starting to lose confidence. Going back and getting stuff from my first draft has cheered me up tremendously. Not mention it has boosted my word count. I've also identified where new scenes are needed. I haven't even tried to write these yet, I've just simply put a note in the text, which includes a brief description of what I think the scene should include.

I think that I'll end up using about 30000 words from the first draft and hence will be dropping about 20000 words. I don't think that's a bad ratio. Especially since I re-did the storyline and changed the identity of the killer. I think I've worked out a new sub-plot that will increase the word count while illustrating the behaviour of a couple of characters.

So onwards and upwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment