Wednesday 23 May 2012

Spreadsheet

So my spreadsheet is ready and I have information from all on how to submit stories. Now all I have to do is go over the story one more time...

I'm nervous just thinking about it. I haven't read it in a while and I'm worried I'm going to think it sucks. Maybe it does. Still nothing ventured nothing gained.

I had changed my mind about The New Yorker, but having read comments from people who had submitted to them, I'm going to try there first. I know I will have to wait months for a reply, but that a good excuse for not doing anything.

I'll wait three months, then submit to other publications. Most of these have much shorter waiting times. I did notice that there are still quite a few that take only paper submission via snail mail. I didn't realise that there were so many who still did this.

They still use the old layouts too - no italics and use of double-dash etc. I'm so used to most wanting a .doc or .rtf this came as a bit of a shock.

I've also started two new short stories. Not sure if both will work out, but they are turning into some interesting anyway. I was struggling to start, but I found that using a 'first sentence' generator helped. In fact my current short story started off the same way.

I didn't keep the original short story, but it helped to start of the process. I get the feeling the two new ones will go the same way. I guess I suffer from empty page syndrome. I can't begin, but with a beginning I can do almost anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment