Monday 12 October 2009

Writing update

OK, so I'm not very good at actually keeping up with the blog. I have actually been writing, just not writing for here. I think, from now on, I will try to update my blog every Monday at the very least. Whether this happens, is a completely separate matter.

So a writing update...

My one line is done. I don't think much of it, but I'll update as and when I can think of something better. I've managed to write an outline. It's not complete, but it does cover more than half the book. The last section isn't covered yet and I'm not sure at this point if I will cover it at this time. The reason for this is obvious and simple - at least to me - I'm not sure which ending to use.

One option would be to outline all the possible endings. Another, and the one I prefer, is to see how the characters really work out as a group and decide later on which is the best way to go. Then once I have an ending, update my outline and see how it all looks. I'll use the outline to create the synopsis once the book is finished. If that ever happens of course.

So I'm just starting on some character bios and once they are done, I'm just about ready for NaNoWriMo in just under 3 weeks. At least the 1st November falls on a Sunday this year, which means I should get a good number of words in on the first day for a change. I'm hoping for 10,000 words, but anything over the 1,667 will be a bonus.

I've done NaNoWriMo several times already and each time I've won, I wrote my 50,000 words in ten days each time. Once I started on November 20th and still finished well before the midnight deadline on the 30th. This year, however, I'm hoping to take it a bit more seriously and not have 5,000 word descriptions of making a sandwich, which was included in my very first attempt.

This year I really want to have something that I can edit and manipulate into a novel that can be submitted to agents and may even get published. That's my aim.

One other point, I've never been ready this early before. OK I probably just jinxed myself and now I won't actually finished the bios before November, but usually I only start preparing on October 31st. So what I've already done is more than I've ever done before.

"May you live in interesting times"

No comments:

Post a Comment