Tuesday 27 October 2009

Cookies and numbers

I've added a cookie to the template of this blog. It should tell me how many times and when people do look at this blog.

It shouldn't affect you, the reader. However if it does, let me know by leaving a comment. If it causes too many problems, I'll delete it.

I only added it because I love statistics. Sad I know, but true. I keep a spreadsheet throughout NaNoWriMo so I can analyse my performance...

And on statistics, I have actually completed the 50000 words in ten days in all the years I have completed NaNoWriMo. Not necessarily consecutive days, but always in 10 days and never starting before the 10th November for various reasons.

After last year (the first time I failed) I have decided that this year I will be starting on the 1st November, but it still remains to be seen if I actually spend more days writing. Of course it helps that the 1st falls on a Sunday.

My goal is different this year. The previous years I just wanted the 50000 words and that was it. Included in this, was a fantastic 5000 word chapter on making a sandwich. It was absolutely brilliant. I really should dig it out again, give it a good edit and see if The New Yorker (or similar) will publish it.

This time I want to actually write a real novel that has a chance to be published (with editing of course). I'm also hoping for 75000 words, as this is the length of the final book (approxiamately speaking).

And yes, I know the book will be length it needs to be, but I think 75000 sounds reasonable for a murder mystery. Of course if it's longer or shorter, I still be happy as long as it ends up as a book.

And now I've posted twice in one week. I think I'm getting addicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment