Monday 19 November 2012

NaNoWriMo

I've written about 7600 words for NaNoWriMo, which is not so good. There are still eleven days to go, so I will probably still finish in time, but I really am not feeling it this year. If that makes any sense. I just can't get into the story. I don't know if it's because I did a detailed outline or not.

But on balance I think that must be it. I think I miss the freedom or writing and discovering what the story is. I'm hitting the second draft doubts instead. Of course if I can get past them and get on with this story then that should help with other first drafts I've written.

Still I think that next year I won't outline at all. Hopefully I will have a story, but I just put down a few lines giving the general overview and do the rest in November. Currently it feels like I'm just filling in the blanks and there is nothing to discover.

I love discovering the story. I think that is what I love the most about writing. I also think that is the reason I will never be published. I'm not sure I'll ever finish anything to a high enough standard to be published, because by the time I reach that stage there is nothing new left in the story for me.

I never started this to write for other people. I started this to write for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment