Wednesday 22 September 2010

New outline

I finished the outline for NaNoWriMo as I said and I have started on the detailed outline for the draft I wrote for last year's NaNoWriMo. I am just starting on Chapter 5. Chapters 1-4 went quicker than I thought they would.

I only really had Chapter 1 in the first draft. The others are new to the story and provide some background and show some of the relationships between the characters rather than just telling the reader what those relationships were. I think it's an improvement.

Having said that I don't think the draft could be any worse. The new chapters provide some red herrings and clear up some things that were obscure in the previous draft. They also set up the killer, which was missing from the previous version. That, however, was due to a switch very late on in the first draft.

The killer switched identity, which made far more sense in the story, but caused some problems with the draft. Hopefully writing the outline will eliminate those conflicts completely.

I'll continue to write this outline until October, when I will stop and go back to the outline for this year's NaNoWriMo. I need to do some changes to that outline - some characters keep switching gender and some switch names - so that it is ready for November 1st. If that's ready before November, I'll switch back to this new outline.

Currently it is all going well. I wonder how long it's going to last...

No comments:

Post a Comment